Candidates wishing to undertake a Phased Array or TOFD Level 3 training course must currently hold a Level 3 certification in Ultrasonic Testing.
This is a guidance course aimed at the PCN requirements for Ultrasonic Phased Array Practitioner Level 3 in either welds, casting or wrought products.
The main objective is to make candidates fully aware of the scope of the examination and level of knowledge required (This will also enable candidates to identify their weak subject areas).
Advice will be given on any further tuition required. Candidates should hold a PCN Level 2 in Phased Array, a PCN Level 3 approval in Ultrasonic Testing as a minimum and have at least 2 years experience in NDT Inspection before attempting these courses.
Level 3 UTPA of general engineering materials, components and fabrications in the pre and inservice inspection multi-sector. Alternatively, Level 3 candidates may apply for single sector certification covering one (only) of the following groups: 5.5.1. Castings 5.5.2. Welds 5.5.3. Wrought Products
- PCN requirements for Level 3 approval
- Complementary NDT methods
- Quality assurance, quality control and supervision
- Specifications, procedures and techniques
- Analysis of reports
- Advanced ultrasonic testing theory and revision
- Analysis of procedures
- Procedure writing
- Mock examinations
An individual certified to Ultrasonic Phased Array Level 3 has demonstrated competence to perform and direct Ultrasonic Phased Array operators for which he is certified. Ultrasonic Phased Array Level 3 personnel have demonstrated:
- The competence to evaluate and interpret results in terms of existing standards, codes, and specifications
- Sufficient practical knowledge of applicable materials, fabrication, process, and product technology to select Ultrasonic Phased Array methods, establish Ultrasonic Phased Array techniques and assist in establishing acceptance criteria where non are otherwise available
- A general familiarity with other NDT methods
Within the scope of the competence defined on the certificate, Ultrasonic Phased Array Level 3 personnel may be authorised to:
- Assume full responsibility for the test facility or examination centre and staff
- Establish, review for editorial and technical correctness and validate Ultrasonic Testing instructions and procedures
- Interpret codes, standards, specifications and procedures
- Designate the particular Ultrasonic Phased Array test methods, techniques and procedures to be used
- Within the scope and limitations of any certification held, carry out all tasks at all levels
- Provide guidance for Ultrasonic Phased Array personnel at all levels
Level 3 certified personnel may be authorised to carry out, manage and supervise PCN qualification examinations on behalf of the British Institute of NDT (BINDT).
Where Level 3 duties require the individual to apply routine NDT by a method or methods within a particular product or industry sector, BINDT strongly recommends that the industry demand that this person should hold and maintain Level 2 certification in the applicable method(s) and sector(s).
The range and scope of PCN certification available at each level is defined in the relevant appendix to these general requirements.
As this course is based on your own individual requirements, please contact us for a personalised price.