Candidates should ideally hold a PCN Level 2 approval in the method as a minimum and have at least 2 years’ experience in NDT/Inspection before attempting a Level 3 course. See also the latest edition of PCN/GEN for the minimum requirements for examinations.
Candidates must also pass the PCN Level 3 Basic Module before attempting a PCN Level 3 Main Method. Candidates then may opt to take the course which deals specifically with ultrasonic test information. These are ideal training courses for the PCN Level 3 Practitioner examination, covering basic and main methods.
- PCN requirements for Level 3 approval
- Complementary NDT methods
- Quality assurance, quality control and supervision
- Specifications/procedures and techniques
- Analysis of PT reports
- Advanced penetrant theory and revision
- Analysis of procedures
- Procedure writing
- Mock examinations
Validated by BINDT and recognised by PCN
An individual certified to Ultrasonic Testing Level 3 has demonstrated competence to perform and direct Ultrasonic Testing operators for which he is certified. Ultrasonic Testing Level 3 personnel have demonstrated:
- The competence to evaluate and interpret results in terms of existing standards, codes, and specifications
- Sufficient practical knowledge of applicable materials, fabrication, process, and product technology to select Ultrasonic Testing methods, establish Ultrasonic Testing techniques and assist in establishing acceptance criteria where non are otherwise available
- A general familiarity with other NDT methods
Within the scope of the competence defined on the certificate, Ultrasonic Testing Level 3 personnel may be authorised to:
- Assume full responsibility for the test facility or examination centre and staff
- Establish, review for editorial and technical correctness and validate Ultrasonic Testing instructions and procedures
- Interpret codes, standards, specifications and procedures
- Designate the particular Ultrasonic test methods, techniques and procedures to be used
- Within the scope and limitations of any certification held, carry out all tasks at all levels
- Provide guidance for Ultrasonic Testing personnel at all levels
Level 3 certified personnel may be authorised to carry out, manage and supervise PCN qualification examinations on behalf of the British Institute of NDT (BINDT).
Where Level 3 duties require the individual to apply routine NDT by a method or methods within a particular product or industry sector, BINDT strongly recommends that the industry demand that this person should hold and maintain Level 2 certification in the applicable method(s) and sector(s).
The range and scope of PCN certification available at each level is defined in the relevant appendix to these general requirements.
Full PCN certification is only achieved once the required once sufficient experience is acquired following the completion of the required training hours and passing of the examination:
Level 1 – 16 training hours and 1 month experience
Level 2 – 24 training hours and 3 months experience if Level 1 held or 40 training hours and 4 months experience if direct to Level 2
Level 3 – 24 training hours (+80 hrs for Level 3 Basic) and 24 months experience