- PCN requirements for Level 3 approval
- Complementary NDT methods
- Quality assurance, quality control and supervision
- Specifications/procedures and techniques
- Analysis of PT reports
- Advanced penetrant theory and revision
- Analysis of procedures
- Procedure writing
- Mock examinations
Validated by BINDT and recognised by PCN
An individual certified to Penetrant Testing Level 3 has demonstrated competence to perform and direct Penetrant Testing operators for which he is certified. Penetrant Testing Level 3 personnel have demonstrated:
- The competence to evaluate and interpret results in terms of existing standards, codes, and specifications
- Sufficient practical knowledge of applicable materials, fabrication, process, and product technology to select Penetrant Testing methods, establish Penetrant Testing techniques and assist in establishing acceptance criteria where non are otherwise available
- A general familiarity with other NDT methods
Within the scope of the competence defined on the certificate, Penetrant Testing Level 3 personnel may be authorised to:
- Assume full responsibility for the test facility or examination centre and staff
- Establish, review for editorial and technical correctness and validate Penetrant Testing instructions and procedures
- Interpret codes, standards, specifications and procedures
- Designate the particular Penetrant test methods, techniques and procedures to be used
- Within the scope and limitations of any certification held, carry out all tasks at all levels
- Provide guidance for Penetrant Testing personnel at all levels
Level 3 certified personnel may be authorised to carry out, manage and supervise PCN qualification examinations on behalf of the British Institute of NDT (BINDT).
Where Level 3 duties require the individual to apply routine NDT by a method or methods within a particular product or industry sector, BINDT strongly recommends that the industry demand that this person should hold and maintain Level 2 certification in the applicable method(s) and sector(s).
The range and scope of PCN certification available at each level is defined in the relevant appendix to these general requirements.
The candidate shall fulfil the minimum requirements of vision and training prior to the qualification examination and shall fulfil the minimum requirements for industrial experience prior to certification:
Penetrant Testing Level 3
Minimum of 40 training hours (+80 hrs for Level 3 Basic (Subject to possible reductions)) and 24 months documented experience.