Candidates are required to complete and pass the PCN Level 3 Basic training course before attempting individual methods.
- PCN requirements for Level 3 approval
- Complementary NDT methods
- Quality assurance, quality control and supervision
- Specifications/procedures and techniques
- Analysis of MPI reports
- Advanced MPI theory and revision
- Analysis of procedures
- Procedure writing
- Mock examinations
An individual certified to Magnetic Particle Testing Level 3 has demonstrated competence to perform and direct Magnetic Particle Testing operators for which he is certified. Magnetic Particle Testing Level 3 personnel have demonstrated:
- The competence to evaluate and interpret results in terms of existing standards, codes, and specifications
- Sufficient practical knowledge of applicable materials, fabrication, process, and product technology to select Magnetic Particle Testing methods, establish Magnetic Particle Testing techniques and assist in establishing acceptance criteria where non are otherwise available
- A general familiarity with other NDT methods
Within the scope of the competence defined on the certificate, Magnetic Particle Testing Level 3 personnel may be authorised to:
- Assume full responsibility for the test facility or examination centre and staff
- Establish, review for editorial and technical correctness and validate Magnetic Particle Testing instructions and procedures
- Interpret codes, standards, specifications and procedures
- Designate the particular Magnetic Particle test methods, techniques and procedures to be used
- Within the scope and limitations of any certification held, carry out all tasks at all levels
- Provide guidance for Magnetic Particle Testing personnel at all levels
Level 3 certified personnel may be authorised to carry out, manage and supervise PCN qualification examinations on behalf of the British Institute of NDT (BINDT).
Where Level 3 duties require the individual to apply routine NDT by a method or methods within a particular product or industry sector, BINDT strongly recommends that the industry demand that this person should hold and maintain Level 2 certification in the applicable method(s) and sector(s).
The range and scope of PCN certification available at each level is defined in the relevant appendix to these general requirements.
The candidate shall fulfil the minimum requirements of vision and training prior to the qualification examination and shall fulfil the minimum requirements for industrial experience prior to certification:
Magnetic Particle Testing Level 3
Minimum of 40 training hours (+80 hrs for Level 3 Basic (Subject to possible reductions)) and 24 months documented experience.
As this course is based on your own individual requirements, please contact us for a personalised price.
For course and examination enquiries