This course has been devised in line with the applicable BINDT syllabus to provide detail of all key subject areas in line with ISO 9712. The course therefore provides a solid foundation of knowledge within magnetic particle testing to provide you the best chance of success in future PCN magnetic particle testing examinations as well as employer based SNT-TC-1A examinations.
Argyll Ruane’s online training program allows students to work and track their progress through the course at their own convenience. This provides the opportunity to spend more time on and revisit specific areas of the course that are not fully understood.
The assessments provide an opportunity to test your knowledge. Students are able to attempt these as many times as they see fit but a 70% pass rate is required to progress.
You also have automatic access to our Product Technology General Theory course.
Special note: Candidates should ideally hold a PCN Level 2 approval in Magnetic Particle Testing with at least 2 years’ experience in NDT/Inspection before attempting the course. See also the latest edition of PCN/GEN for the minimum requirements for examinations.
In-class training equivalent – 4 days
Access to the training course is up to 60 days (can be extended on request)
Magnetic Particle Testing Level 3 is ideal for those who already have a good understanding of the techniques of magnetic particle inspection and would like instruction to improve their knowledge and increase their experience in preparation for a Level 3 examination.
Course notes are able to be downloaded to be viewed on a separate device or printed for future use.
Each assessment will be marked as complete once a 70% pass rate has been achieved, but don’t worry, you can attempt these as many times as you like, even if you get higher than 70%.
The final assessment takes questions from all previous assessments to fully review your learning and refresh your knowledge.
The course is split into modules to break down the learning in to manageable parts.
- Unit 1 – Magnetic Particle Testing Introduction
- Unit 2 – Magnetic Properties
- Unit 3 – Considerations when using MT
- Unit 4 – Magnetising Methods & Apparatus
- Unit 5 – The Detecting Medium
- Unit 6 – Viewing Conditions
- Unit 7 – Demagnetisation
- Unit 8 – Magnetic Field Indicators
- Unit 9 – Reporting
- Unit 10 – Current Types
- Unit 11 – COSHH Regulations
- Unit 12 – Applicable Standards
- Unit 13 – Examination Schemes
- Unit 14 – Conversion Factors & Terminology
The Argyll Ruane e-Learning program will work on various hardware platforms, but the following is an example of a minimum-specification that would be expected to deliver a rich, interactive user experience:
- PC or Mac.
- Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 or above, Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) or above, Modern Linux variant.
- 32-bit colour graphics.
- Keyboard and mouse.
- Recommended minimum browser: Google Chrome 11, Firefox 4, Safari 5, Internet Explorer 8 (IE 10 required for drag and drop of files from outside the browser into the e).
As e-learning is delivered online we would recommend the following bandwidths for internet access:
- Minimum bandwidth: 256 kbps
- If using video: 512 kbps