Bryan is the of General Manager of IMechE Argyll Ruane and IMechE Fife NDT.
Working in the NDT industry for over 18 years, Bryan’s background includes roles such as Responsible NDT Level 3 and Operations Manager, predominantly within the Aerospace Industry.
Bryan’s leadership experience includes the successful Operation of several NDT Departments, a semi-prismatic machine shop which manufactured product for Rolls Royce and MTU aeroengines, and a Special Process facility, which encompassed Surface Treatments, Heat Treatment, Abrasive Blasting and a Paint Shop.
Bryan holds a number of NDT Level 3 Certifications and Approvals including; EN4179 Level 3’s in ET, MT, PT, AEI, ECT and HT; ASNT NDT Level III in ET, MT, PT, RT and VT; PCN Level 3’s in MT, PT & VT; and industry approvals from Rolls Royce, Airbus, BAE Systems, Safran, MTU, and also holds CAA & EASA Form 4 approvals (Part 145 and 21G).
Bryan joined IMechE Argyll Ruane in 2016 as an NDT Level 3 Consultant and later supported the role of Quality Manager before progressing to become the Deputy General Manager in 2022 and later the General Manager in 2023.
In addition to his role as General Manager, Bryan continues to Lead the Level 3 Services department, along with acting as a Level 3 Consultant for multiple customers around the globe.
Outside of work, Bryan enjoys being out in the countryside with his dogs or catching his regular adrenaline fix from mountain biking, snowboarding, scuba diving or anything else that appears fun and exciting.
How did you first hear about the NDT industry?
My friends were apprentices at a local aerospace engineering organisation, intrigued, I joined their inspection department supporting with inspection and serialisation tasks. As I learned more about the business, I was drawn to NDT – primarily by the need to investigate and root cause defects. A vacancy in the NDT department became available and the rest is history.
What do you enjoy about working in NDT?
NDT as a career is incredibly rewarding. The opportunity to work with likeminded people who share a common goal, with a quality-based approach is certainly a primary motivator for me. In addition, I do have a fascination for aircraft and knowing I have been involved in ensuring parts are fit for service is very satisfying.
Top tip for anyone entering the NDT industry?
Be inquisitive – ask questions of those more knowledgeable and experienced, and absorb all you can.
The fun stuff! What’s your favourite:
Drink: Bombay Sapphire Gin, with two slices of lime, lots of ice and topped up with Fever Tree Mexican Lime Soda
Film, TV or book: Gladiator
Holiday: Mountain biking in Morzine or Snowboarding in Courchevel
- PCN Level 3: Visual Testing, Penetrant Testing, Magnetic Particle Testing
- ASNT Level 3: Visual Testing, Magnetic Particle Testing, Penetrant Testing, Eddy Current Testing, Radiographic Testing.
- EN4179 Level 3: Penetrant Testing, Magnetic Testing, Eddy Current Testing, Acid Etch Inspection, Hardness Testing, Electrical Conductivity Testing.
- FdSc in Non-Destructive Testing
- Affiliate Member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers
- Full Member of The British Institute of Non-Destructive Testing (BINDT)
- Incorporated Engineer (IEng)
- BINDT Council Member.
- Chair of the BINDT Certification Management Committee.
- Co-Chair of the Outside Agency/Inside Agency Group.
- Member of the SNT-TC-1A Committee.
- Member of the Aerospace Committee.