This TOFD welds course provides detailed information on the inspection of ferritic steel welds by the ultrasonic time of flight diffraction method. Suitable for personnel with existing UT Certification in welds, and recognised by PCN, providing excellent preparation for the Level 1 and 2 examinations.
It meets the full training hour requirements as specified by the relevant PCN documentation. (Note: Level 1 requires a minimum of 40 hours’ training. Direct entry to Level 2 requires a minimum of 80 hours). The course utilises the latest Technology Design and Olympus TOFD equipment.
- Ultrasonic theory
- Theory of diffracted ultrasonic waves
- Digitisation principles
- Hardware utilised in TOFD
- Calibration/setting up of equipment
- Extensive practical element
- Analysis software
- Analysis and interpretation
- Relevant standards/PCN documentation
Validated by BINDT and recognised by PCN
An individual certified to Ultrasonic TOFD Level 2 has demonstrated competence to perform NDT according to NDT procedures. Within the scope of the competence defined on the certificate, Level 2 personnel may be authorised by the employer to:
- Select the Ultrasonic TOFD technique for the test method to be used
- Define the limitations of application of the testing method
- Translate Ultrasonic TOFD codes, standards, specifications and procedures into Ultrasonic TOFD instructions adapted to the actual working conditions
- Set up and verify Ultrasonic TOFD equipment settings
- Perform and supervise Ultrasonic TOFD tests
- Interpret and evaluate results according to applicable standards, codes, specifications or procedures
- Prepare written Ultrasonic TOFD instructions
- Carry out and supervise all tasks at or below Level 2
- Provide guidance for personnel at or below Level 2
- Report the results of Ultrasonic TOFD tests.
PCN Certification is awarded once the student has demonstrated the required experience and training hours have been met and successful completion of the PCN examination has been achieved:
Ultrasonic Time of Flight Diffraction
Level 2 – 40 training hours and 9 months experience
Direct access to PCN Level 2 would be achieved by combining the experience and training hours of Level 1 and Level 2:
Direct access Level 2 – 80 training hours and 12 months experience
If you are wanting to quickly gain the experience required for your certification, accelerated learning might be for you. You can gain up to 50% of the required experience through this method.
192 hours of training is the equivalent of 960 hours of work experience. This is 50% of the 1920 required hours of experience to gain your certification.
The price of training will vary depending on your own requirements, contact us and we can work this out for you.
Training course: £2,598
PCN Levy: £80
PCN PED Admin Charge: £45
Total: £3,151 (excl. VAT)