Candidates must be at least 18 years old and meet the requirements of the Ionising Radiations Regulations. TDLs/film badges will be supplied to all candidates. We are able to arrange medicals and TLDs if candidates are not currently classified.
Candidates attempting a PCN examination must meet the PCN/GEN requirements. If attempting an ASNT/EN4179/NAS410 examination the requirements of your company’s written practice must be met.
- Properties of X-ray and Gamma rays
- Atomic structures
- Generation of X-rays
- Natural and artificial gamma radiation sources
- Gamma ray equipment
- Radiographic film
- Intensifying screens, exposure charts, calculations
- Techniques for weld and/or casting radiography
- Darkroom procedures
- Radiographic quality
- Interpretation of radiographs
- Specifications and procedures
- Computed and digital radiographic techniques and systems
- Preparation of a procedure
Validated by BINDT and recognised by PCN
An individual certified to Radiographic Testing Level 3 has demonstrated competence to perform and direct Radiographic Testing operators for which he is certified. Radiographic Testing Level 3 personnel have demonstrated:
- The competence to evaluate and interpret results in terms of existing standards, codes, and specifications
- Sufficient practical knowledge of applicable materials, fabrication, process, and product technology to select Radiographic Testing methods, establish Radiographic Testing techniques and assist in establishing acceptance criteria where non are otherwise available
- A general familiarity with other NDT methods
Within the scope of the competence defined on the certificate, Radiographic Testing Level 3 personnel may be authorised to:
- Assume full responsibility for the test facility or examination centre and staff
- Establish, review for editorial and technical correctness and validate Radiographic Testing instructions and procedures
- Interpret codes, standards, specifications and procedures
- Designate the particular Radiographic test methods, techniques and procedures to be used
- Within the scope and limitations of any certification held, carry out all tasks at all levels
- Provide guidance for Ultrasonic Testing personnel at all levels
Level 3 certified personnel may be authorised to carry out, manage and supervise PCN qualification examinations on behalf of the British Institute of NDT (BINDT).
Where Level 3 duties require the individual to apply routine NDT by a method or methods within a particular product or industry sector, BINDT strongly recommends that the industry demand that this person should hold and maintain Level 2 certification in the applicable method(s) and sector(s).
The range and scope of PCN certification available at each level is defined in the relevant appendix to these general requirements.