Candidates should ideally hold a PCN Level 2 approval in 4 methods with at least 2 years’ experience in NDT/Inspection before attempting the course. See also the latest edition of PCN/GEN for the minimum requirements for examinations.
Candidates may be able to avoid certain parts of Level 3 Basic based on their current certifications, please refer to the latest edition of PCN/GEN or contact us for further information.
IMechE Argyll Ruane’s online training program allows students to work and track their progress through the course at their own convenience. This provides the opportunity to spend more time on and revisit specific areas of the course that are not fully understood.
The assessments provide an opportunity to test your knowledge. Students are able to attempt these as many times as they see fit but a 70% pass rate is required to progress.
- Unit PRT1 – Casting
- Unit PRT2 – Wrought Products
- Unit PRT3 – Weld Terminology
- Unit PRT4 – Welding Processes
- Unit PRT5 – Steel Weld Metallurgy
- Unit PRT6 – Weld Defects
- Unit PRT7 – Mechanical Testing
- Unit PRT8 – Cracking
- Unit PRT9 – Other Processes and Technologies
- Unit PRT10 – Terminology
- Unit QA2 – Normative Documents
- Unit NDT1 – Non-Destructive Testing
The module is based on PCN/GEN ISSUE 13 which can be downloaded and referred to whilst you work through the assessment.
- Unit 1 – Scope
- Unit 2 – References
- Unit 3 – Terms and Conditions
- Unit 4 – Abbreviations
- Unit 5 – Duties and responsibilities
- Unit 6 – Levels of PCN Certification
- Unit 7 – Eligibility
- Unit 8 – Industrial NDT Experience
- Unit 9 – Vision Requirements
- Unit 10 – Qualification Examination
- Unit 11 – Examination Exemptions
- Unit 12 – Conduct of Examinations
- Unit 13 – Grading of Examinations
- Unit 14 – Re-examination
- Unit 15 – Publication of Examination Results
- Unit 16 – Certification
- Unit 17 – Validity of Certification
- Unit 18 – Revalidation
- Unit 19 – Complaints and Appeals
- Unit 20 – Change of Employer
- Unit 21 – Supplementary Examinations
- Unit 22 – Certification and Examination Records
- Unit 23 – Use and Misuse of Certificates
- Unit 24 – Transition between EN473; 2008, ISO 9712:2005 and EN ISO 9712:2012
The module focuses on refreshing existing knowledge of a minimum of 4 Level 2 Main Methods, listed below.
- Eddy Current Testing
- Magnetic Particle Testing
- Penetrant Testing
- Ultrasonic Testing